Tuesday 24 April 2018

Robot Lawn Mower Perimeter Wire Repair Kit: Tips & Product Advice

While researching an article about aftermarket robot mower blades I cam across a pack that had all the bits in one place: screwdriver, blades and new screws. Now, it seemed obvious to me that the next most obvious kit would be a perimeter wire repair kit, but I've not yet found one.

So, here is my own list of things that you would need to put together such a kit, based on bitter experience of:

  • chickens digging up the wire;
  • having to move the wire due to 'garden redesign';
  • natural breakage due to corrosion;
  • expansion of the mowing area, etc.

Even once you have installed the mower and its perimeter wire, it is likely at some point that it will break, be broken, or you'll have to move it. So, it's sensible to have a troubleshooting and repair kit to hand.

Wire & Quick Splice Connectors

The first thing to note is that while there are many different vendors of wire, with each specifying the make and/or model of mower that they should be used with, I have had good results with both single and multi-strand off-the-shelf wire.

Single strand (solid) wire can be easier in some cases, bit is very rigid: originally my own Gardena (Flymo / Husqvarna) mower came with a supple, green, multi-strand cable. However, I have since extended with a mix, and also carry a 'flying wire' for use in troubleshooting breaks in the perimeter, which is single strand.

For those who want some inspiration, Amazon carries a number of different types of wire specifically made for use with robotic lawn mowers.

One of the more specific things I have in my repair kit is called the "quick splice" connector.

Pictured on the right is the type that I favour -- these are used to clip onto the perimeter wire at a specific point, and then attach a 'flying wire' via a spade connector.

In my case, their purpose is not as a permanent way to connect the wires together (see below for that) but when I need to find a break in the wire.

Often, I'll leave them in place as it's more hassle than taking them off, and I suspect that removing the clip from the wire may leave it open to corrosion.

On the other hand, five years have gone by since I hooked up the first one, and took is off again, and I haven't had a break in the same place since. Regular readers will remember that I've had other breaks to repair, but none thus far due to rusting.

Pegs

One thing that also crops up is the need to re-position the wire on occasion.

I find that when I do this, inevitably some of the pegs break. When I eventually run out of pegs -- I bought replacements from the shop before researching replacement pegs online, rookie error -- I'll buy some different types and see if there's anything to choose between them.

Here's what they look like:



Those of us with the Husqvarna/Gardena/Flymo mowers will be familiar with the hooks on the right, which have the tendency to pop out easily when you need them too. However, I've had a few issues keeping the wire underneath the hooks at the end.

That's where the Bosch style pegs have the edge. It looks rather as if you can loop the cable underneath the hook, and around the peg, making it more secure.

On the left is an unknown (to me) brand of peg. The advantage looks to be that they will stay in the ground more permanently, and there is a flat top holding the cable close to the ground.

Whichever you choose, make sure you have a few in your repair kit!

Permanent Perimeter Wire Connectors

Above, I mentioned that I have a collection of quick splice (spade type) connectors to get me out of a bind when I need to test the conductivity around the perimeter wire.

However, on occasion, it's necessary to replace a section of wire, or to re-position the central guide wire, also known as the return wire.

I wouldn't trust quick splice connectors for something permanent, preferring instead to go with the type of connector seen on the left. These are filled with a liquid to protect against moisture and dirt.

The blue one, and some of the red ones are made by 3M, and those are what I bought as 'extras' from the same place I got the pegs. This was before I shopped around.

It turns out that Amazon has a good selection of connectors. Wherever you buy them, I would advise having around 5 just in case the worst happens and you need to splice together two or three perimeter cable ends!

Keeping it All Together

Finally, some additional bits and pieces:

  • a hammer for the pegs -- I prefer a rubber head one;
  • pliers and cable cutters;
  • wire stripper
  • ...and a box to keep everything in!

Stanley, make a small, robust toolbox for only about £15. I've tried to keep everything in plastic bags, or in my regular toolbox, but bits go missing (presumably borrowed!) or I use them for other projects; in the end, I bought a dedicated toolbox and I advise you to do the same!

If you have any other tips or tricks for lawn mower perimeter wire maintenance, please let us know in the comments section below.


No comments:

Post a Comment